Cajun Lentil Stew For You!

I told you I liked lentils….

As a vegetarian (pescatarian), people are frequently asking me for good recipes and also giving me recipes. So 98% of the time they’re good, the other 2%, well…. let’s just say you won’t see them here.

Anyways, this one from my parent’s neighbors definitely goes in the 98% and I’m going to venture to say that 100% of you will like it if you try it.

Enough with the numbers, let’s get down to business.

1 of the 3 main ingredients is Zucchini. The other two being lentils and cajun/creole seasoning (see below).

The recipe calls for Cajun seasoning. I didn’t actually know what that was…. I thought it meant Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning. I googled it and they aren’t the same but I’m trying to be more adventurous so I went with Tony’s.

However, creole seasoning has a high salt content so I think it was a bit too salty… which I rarely do since I was born with a natural aversion to adding salt due to my need to compensate for my father’s and grandfather’s obscene use of it. Oh and I might be a little paranoid about high blood pressure….

No this isn’t going to a toddler…. I don’t have kids. It’s just a spoon from when I was a kid that happens to be perfect for soup!

I’ll be scraping the pot and warming up the rest for dinner tonight… Yum!

This is also a big moment in my blogging history, as it’s my first with my DSLR (Nikon D5100). My apologies for any excessive bokeh.

Also, I’ve got an arsenal of blogs starting to pile up…. and some real good ones I can’t wait to share, (include some featuring real live people). It’s gonna be good.

Cajun Lentil Soup

Serves 8

Ingredients:

– 7 c. Vegetable Broth

– 1/4 c. Olive Oil

– 1 c. chopped onion

– 2 Tbl. Fresh Minced Garlic (or I used 2 cubes from the frozen pack at Trader Joes)

– 4 oz. Tomato Paste

– 12 oz. Dry Lentils

– 2 lbs. Fresh Diced Tomatoes (or I used 2 cans diced tomatoes, drain 1 and pour in the other as is)

– 2/3 c. Marsala Wine

– 2 Tbl. Brown Sugar

– 1 tsp. Basil

– 1 tsp. Oregano

– 2 Tbl. Cajun Seasoning (1 1/4 Tbl. Tony Chachere’s)

– 1/2 tsp. Salt

– 1/4 tsp. Pepper

– 1 3/4 lb. Diced Zucchini

Directions:

In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, tomato paste and lentils. Saute 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, cajun spice, salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes more. Add zucchini and simmer 10 more minutes and you’re ready to serve.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s